Saturday 16 April 2011

'N'etballll!!!!! ♥


I play netball twice on a Saturday and once on Monday night, so three matches a week, usually.

One of the teams I play for is called Purple Paradise and I am one of the oldest on that as the others are in year6 and year7. I really enjoy playing for that team and usually play centre, and can sometimes shatter me!!!

Pause........ I just realised most of you may not know what I am talking about, or may not remember the rules and positions of netball from when you learnt them at school, so a little recap for you all........


Central Positions
C- Centre- Can go everywhere on the court except both goal circles.
WA- Wing Attack- Can go in the centre third (middle section on picture) and in their goal third (the third where the their team is shooting) but not in the goal circle.
WD- Wing Defence- Can go in the centre third (middle section on picture) and in the other teams goal third (the third where the opposing team is shooting) but not in the goal circle.

Defensive Postitions
GK- Goal Keeper- Can go in the other teams goal third (the third where the opposite team are shooting)
GD- Goal Defence- Can go in the centre third (the middle section on picture) and in the other teams goal third (the third where the opposite team are shooting)

Attack Positions
GS- Goal Shooter- Can go in their goal third (the third where they are shooting)
GA-  Can go in the centre third (the middle section on picture) and in their teams goal third (the third where they are shooting)

Only GS and GA can shoot in the net. You have to be in the goal circle to shoot.

Each player matches up with a player from the other team:
GS+GK
GA+GD
WA+WD
C+C

Simples!

Anyway, back to my netball team!

My other netball team is called Bluebirds and I am the youngest on that team! I love playing for them and enjoy the challenge, I usually play WD for them and sometimes C, WA or even GD.

My Monday night team is also called Bluebirds; same kits, a few of the same people but a different coach and some different players. I love playing for them too!

4 comments:

Misha Gerrick said...

I used to enjoy playing netball. I enjoyed and played best at GD, but always got thrown into GK because of my length.

-_-

Annoying.

Ruthie said...

Haha! My sister plays GK, I prefer running around everywhere :)

Nate Wilson said...

I wasn't familiar with netball at all, so thank you for sharing the game's rules and positions. And good luck in your upcoming matches!

Ruthie said...

Thank you nate, I'm playing in an hour or so actually! I saw your comment on my dads blog (rjr daydreamer) it made me laugh!!!! Haha